Welcome to the CANTON MISSOURI POLICE DEPARTMENT web site. We are proud of our police department and hope you find the information at this site helpful. Visit us often and take advantage of the programs and services we offer. The Canton Police Department serves a small community in the northeast corner of the state. The police department provides law enforcement services to the citizens of Canton as well as students at Culver-Stockton College. The department operates under a community-oriented policing policy. Neighborhood Policing is a philosophy - one of a partnership between police and law-abiding citizens to create a permanent solution(s) to problems that lead to crime.
We express these ideals for all to see as we display our motto, TO SERVE AND PROTECT WITH PROFESSIONALISM AND DIGNITY. Our mission is to enhance the quality of life in the community through a commitment to excellence in the professional and courteous delivery of police services while operating under the framework of the United States Constitution in enforcing laws, reducing fear, and preserving human life.
|Canton Police Department Personnel
The Canton Police Department is made up of five employees who are dedicated to improving the life of the citizens of the City of Canton by reducing crime and make Canton a safe place to live. The Canton Police Department has four commissioned law enforcement officers and one police clerk. The Canton Police Department does not have the luxuries of a large police department and the police officers employed by this organization must be well trained and have the ability to perform many law enforcement tasks such as patrol, investigations, crime prevention, animal control and administrative functions. The Canton Police Department is located within the city at 108 North 5th Street in Canton, Missouri.
Applications for employment with the Canton Police Department are accepted regularly. This is the first step of the application process and when a vacancy is open for a position, a review of applications is completed, applications are notified for interview and further hiring procedures.
Pay is dependent upon qualifications (past experience, education, military experience and training).
Our Department's Minimum Requirements Are: (FYI: We do not have a police academy nor do we sponsor or send candidates to a police academy.)
- Candidates must be a graduate of the police academy and be a Missouri Post Certified/licensed police officer and meet at least one of the following:
- Have attained 30 college credit hours with a GPA of C (2.0) or higher (no law enforcement academy hours accepted)
- OR two years of full-time paid law enforcement experience
- OR two years of military tour of duty with an honorable discharge
- Pass each step of the selection process including a thorough background investigation
- Eyesight must be correctable 20/20
- Possess a valid drivers license not in jeopardy of suspension or revocation
When a vacancy exists and an application is submitted the candidate must bring the following paperwork with the application:
- Copy of Missouri Post Certified Certification
- College transcript if you do not meet police or military experience
- Military Discharge Form DD214 if you do not meet police or college experience
Application for employment
RECORDS AND REPORTS
Our Police Clerk is responsible for filing and maintaining all reports of crimes and incidents generated by the department. The Police Clerk also distributes copies of police reports. Copies of police reports can be obtained during the following hours:
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
1 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Please contact police clerk at 573-288-4412 for more information or to request a report. There is a fee for copies of police reports.